Keeping backyard chooks
• Shelter, best breeds, food and building a chook tractor
Small space structures
• Building a number of structures for growing food in small spaces from gutter gardens to vertical growing structures
• Designing a herb spiral with bricks and learning about all the materials they can be built with, placement of herbs and creating a watercress pool.
Growing through the seasons
• Building protection for plants to grow year-round from recycled materials.
Backyard bee keeping
• An overview of what is required to keep a beehive in the garden, equipment practical and pros and cons.
Espalier fruit trees
• How to erect an espalier structure, how to prune espalier trees/bushes/vines
Shelter and fedges
• Temporary and permanent shelter around a food garden or fruit trees – using plants and hard materials
Weed identification and building a weed biodigester
• Identifying annual, biennial and perennial weeds and their uses in the garden.
• Building a weed biodigester to turn noxious weeds into garden fertiliser
This permaculture gardening weekend contain 4 practical sessions per day with hands on building, making, and experiencing all of the subject areas covered on the course in the garden.
- 2 day weekend course - 9am - 5pm both days. Cost $200 per person or $300 for two people learning together. Places are limited to 12. Cost includes morning and
- Practical and theory sessions based on an organic 4ha permaculture property in Whiteman's Valley, Upper Hut which is almost completely self-sufficient.
- To book a place on the course, contact: Dee Turner: 0211252035 or email@example.com. Carolann Murray will be teaching the Upper Hut course. She has
written the New Zealand guide to self-sufficiency, and has been teaching permaculture in New Zealand for 15 years.
- Check out the website for feedback on the courses, full details of the practical projects, and a complete rundown of the content - 'permaculture' tab -
971 Whitemans Valley, Upper Hutt 5371